Sunday, January 08, 2006


I always say, "It's just not Christmas without a little bit of nostalgia!" Ok, well, I just said that now for the first time, but I foresee myself repeating the phrase. It's the day after Christmas and a bunch of really different people who haven't seen each other in anywhere from 1 to 10 years gather together in one room for a gay old time of reminiscing and sarcasm. Recipe for disaster? Recipe for drama at least.

Actually, it was nice to see that we had all grown. Some of us in maturity and some of us merely in size. At least we all could report our acquiescence of some sort of gainful employment - that's something right? Between all of us there were two marriages, two children, lots of moves all about the country, some painful happenstance, and plenty of old memories. It was quite the mixture of who we used to be and who we are now. On which, for the most part, I'm still a little unclear.
As for me, well, I was able to revert quite easily into my old high school roll of cold shouldered guarded girl who comes across as a serious b-word. Yeah, don't know how that happened. And my friend there, also in the red sweater (so not planned!) mentioned how the long-time repressed ditz just sprung to life unexpectedly. But those young ladies of the past quieted themselves and retreated to their dungeons not long after the "reunion" ended.

It was nice to have come from somewhere and to be somewhere different now. It was also weird to still have things to talk about with people you haven't seen in ten years.
It felt really grown-up to say "I am a teacher". That gives you identity, you know. In Spanish when you say "I am a teacher", you use the word "soy" - which is like saying, "I am a girl". You don't use "soy" when saying statements like "I am cold." "Soy" insinuates permanence - it's what you are - now and forevermore. I won't always be cold, but I will always be a girl. I will always be a teacher.
I also got to say - with permanence - I am a wife, and I am a mother. Both of which were my spoken goals throughout most of my high school career. So, I guess in some way, I have arrived. There are still many goals I've set since that may or may not be met. And to some, the role of wife, and mother is a menial one. In my heart and mind, though, it's a vital role. I'm proud to be part of the familial fold.
SO - to wind up this ramble - it was quite a trip to travel back in time (88 MILES PER HOUR!!) for a while - but I'm glad to be home and glad to be me. I will remember, however, where I came from and the people along the way that helped shape who I am now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home